Morey comes from the Latin Moriacum, meaning "property of the Moors".
The village of Morey St. Denis dates back to 1120 and nestles between Chambolle Musigny south of it, and Gevrey-Chambertin to the north.
Morey St. Denis belonged at one stage to the powerful abbaye de Citeaux. It was completely destroyed by fire in the 17th century, and then suffered enormously during the plague, which perhaps at least partly explains why it is not better known.
Wine making in Morey St. Denis has often been somewhat overshadowed by the two neighbouring villages, without there being any real explanation for this in terms of the quality of wine produced here. Indeed Morey has five magnificient Grands Crus, vineyards situated halfway up the coteaux (hillsides), as well as about twenty or so areas of vineyards that are classified as Premiers Crus. The soil where the Grands Crus are made contains Bajocian limestone - these are Bonnes Mares, Clos de Tart, Clos des Lambrays, Clos St. Denis, Clos de la Roche. Lower down the slopes are the Premiers Crus.
We grow two parcels in the commune of Morey Saint Denis : Aux chézeaux and Clos des Ormes.
Grape : Pinot Noir
Surface area : Clos des Ormes : 0,1791 ha - Aux Chézeaux : 0,1462 ha
Ageing : -
2001 vintage Morey St Denis wines tend to be pure and elegant. They have a pleasant ruby colour, with a purple-ish sparkle. An intense nose with hints of red fruits. Taste is well-balanced, pure, with soft tannins.
A lighter wine than the very fruity Gevrey wines. Drink very young, in three to five years’ time.